Skip to main content

FIRSTS!!!

Everything that's a first carry precious memories with them. I've had a lot of good firsts and many bad firsts too. Or, they weren't bad- I just couldn't acclimatise myself to those firsts.

First day in a new high school was sombre. I was unsure of everything. uncertain too. Of course, the adulation that came my way because of my excellent academic record made everything seem fine. Over time, things went well. When we are younger, somehow adjustment doesn't seem to be a problem.

First day in an Architecture school was also very uncertain. There was a crowd and everyone looked so hefty and tall and just so big that for a moment I felt like a school kid starting afresh. Five years down the line, every year of school then felt like an extension from the last term. Nothing changed.

First day in a new city at a competitive services training center didn't bring out any emotions, except that I had a feeling of calm over it. As routine set in, the atmosphere seemed healthy and quiet. It was starkly different and extreme in character than the buzzy metropolis I have lived for a long time.

And Now, another first.

Sometimes  I feel, I live on the tide of time. I sail with it. There has never been a moment when I haven't created 'future' in my mind or haven't experienced the seconds flying past in solitude.
Life presents us with failures more often than success; in fact, that's a question to ponder upon. Who defines 'success' and 'failures' or the happiness quotient? Are we here to learn about being human or to grasp the key of running in the rat race to nowhere?

This 'first' that I'm currently experiencing, will stay forever in my memory for two reasons: Someone who should be happy isn't and my emotional strings get tugged so often at reminiscing past events.

I hope people realise that happiness is only real when its shared and it could mean a lot to hear encouraging and happy words from people we care for and hope they do the same. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगड...

Book Tales

A cancelled lunch date led my feet astray to the book treasures on Flora Fountain. This happened on a busy Monday afternoon. I promised myself I wouldn't engage my eyes on books anymore after I ended up spending a whole lot more than I usually do. It feels like an addiction, something I can't let go off. While I am sure books will and should not be recognised as harmful addiction, I am painfully aware of the fact that splurging money on anything every time we see it is unhealthy. Of course, I know the psychology and the hard facts too, but buying books feels like conquering the access way to treasures of an inexpressible happy state of mind. When I was young, losing myself in the book world was not just for the introduction into the big wide unseen world but also for the love of imagination. I was fascinated with colours and story telling, had a thirst for adventure that seemed strangely missing in my childhood as it was so pronounced in Enid Blyton's books. I could n...

Forward march

Suddenly I've started feeling envious of all the 24 year-old youngsters. Not that I'm old compared to them, but I wish I WERE 24 today to possess the same energy, liveliness and excitement to do things. With these thoughts I was reeking in a wee bit misery last night, when I decided to install the Amazon Kindle app on my phone. It asked me a few preferences and rate some books for further reading suggestions. To my utter surprise, I saw books by Cheryl Strayed on the list. I had read about Strayed's WILD because of the movie promotions. So, I started off by reading Brave Enough: A mini instruction manual for the soul, intrigued by its title. The book consists of Quotes that helped Cheryl (forgive my first name calling, but I feel like she is my soul sister after reading the book), go through stressful times in her life while growing up. She writes about noting quotes that inspired her, everywhere in her house and places where she could read them always. I instantly knew w...