Skip to main content

Ruminations I

With the advent of Modi, people who earlier had moderate views have suddenly turned into fierce nationalists. People have started defending their religion with an ardent zeal and not just defending, proclaiming how theirs is the world's greatest religion. Is this all necessary? Isn't religion made for man, than being the opposite? How does a particular religion's superiority give anyone access and right to malign other religious doctrines? This is denouncing history. And, plain stupid if people think only their race is superior and hence reserves the right to inhabit a particular city or country. Highly illogical information perpetrated through half-read wikipedia pages. Why don't people who are up for an argument on religion and fundamentalism actually read "proofs" and theories that have been proved, verified and accepted by scholars worldwide. If one wants to limit themselves to some nationalist's version of events, his area of understanding would be stunted and he would never get to know the core of religion and way of life intertwined between each other.
Some go as far as to say, they only care about their people, not the city in whole. This means that such a lot is anti-social. How do we deal with such masses where penetration of education shows no considerable change in their mindsets, with them still sticking to their old oral histories and often heard-not verified stories? Religious bigotry is on an all time high with young minds getting corrupted through false propaganda by right wing groups. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar said that, 'They cannot make history who forget history', we seem to have come to an era of denying history and learning lessons from it. He also said that, 'Religion instils hope in man and drives him to activity.' Sadly, no one wants to explore this aspect of religion.

Do we absolutely have no morals left that we have ceased thinking for anyone else besides our own selves?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगड...

Book Tales

A cancelled lunch date led my feet astray to the book treasures on Flora Fountain. This happened on a busy Monday afternoon. I promised myself I wouldn't engage my eyes on books anymore after I ended up spending a whole lot more than I usually do. It feels like an addiction, something I can't let go off. While I am sure books will and should not be recognised as harmful addiction, I am painfully aware of the fact that splurging money on anything every time we see it is unhealthy. Of course, I know the psychology and the hard facts too, but buying books feels like conquering the access way to treasures of an inexpressible happy state of mind. When I was young, losing myself in the book world was not just for the introduction into the big wide unseen world but also for the love of imagination. I was fascinated with colours and story telling, had a thirst for adventure that seemed strangely missing in my childhood as it was so pronounced in Enid Blyton's books. I could n...

Forward march

Suddenly I've started feeling envious of all the 24 year-old youngsters. Not that I'm old compared to them, but I wish I WERE 24 today to possess the same energy, liveliness and excitement to do things. With these thoughts I was reeking in a wee bit misery last night, when I decided to install the Amazon Kindle app on my phone. It asked me a few preferences and rate some books for further reading suggestions. To my utter surprise, I saw books by Cheryl Strayed on the list. I had read about Strayed's WILD because of the movie promotions. So, I started off by reading Brave Enough: A mini instruction manual for the soul, intrigued by its title. The book consists of Quotes that helped Cheryl (forgive my first name calling, but I feel like she is my soul sister after reading the book), go through stressful times in her life while growing up. She writes about noting quotes that inspired her, everywhere in her house and places where she could read them always. I instantly knew w...