Skip to main content

The things we learn in childhood

While studying for my exams, Geography of India specifically, I started recollecting information I had learned in school that I still remember. The Mariana Trench for example is the deepest part in Pacific Ocean. The moment I read it, I assigned it to my memory. Few other things learnt in school that I can still recollect include Historical dates and events with information about the Ottoman Empire although I think my later reading bears a more strong hold in learning more about dynasties and empires. 

Why I feel strongly about things learnt in childhood is the simple reason now being I have to make a choice about choosing a subject in my academics for extensive learning. I have been pondering increasingly about deciding between Public Administration and Geography. I haven't exclusively studied Geography and only wonder if it will sustain my interest unlike other subjects like Sociology. So I have taken to dedicating all my attention to Geography and I daresay I enjoy reading it. Perhaps, it will give my grey cells the much needed boost that seemingly drab subjects like public administration bring forth. I miss devouring and practically eating off the facts and figures that I so loved as a child. Then, it was always about reading new information about the world in the geographical and historical pursuits of nature. I really lament losing that spark. Of course, as we grow up our mind starts occupying itself with things more lively than dead subjects we were introduced to in the hopes of receiving an education. Often, regardless of its worth we find ourselves relentlessly pursuing things with far lesser hold on our being than is deemed necessary. From my Architecture school discussions among peers, I recollect wide arguments about learning the History of Architecture. It was questioned so passionately that merely the choice of learning what students thought was worth in this new age took precedent over other aspects of the discussion. Many thought it unnecessary then. It was a burden to the already exhaustive and varied nature of the academic coursework and thought of more suitably as a subject belonging to the Arts than Science which students felt they ought to learn. I suppose it has been a long debate for time immemorial when we give precedence to more liberal sciences than creative persuasions. Just another of those Chicken or Egg dilemmas. 

Aside from relearning, something that I have begun to appreciate and enjoy, I realise that over time we lose basic instincts taught to us in childhood. Then, we associate and relearn about them in a different fashion that more or less, confines our age. One of the prominent examples is Mathematics. Do you remember cringing at solving examples that involved simple interest, speed-distance train problems, calculating volume and density not to forget geometry theorems? I certainly recollect rolling my eyes each time my Math test results determined the fall of my percentage and rank in class. Always hovering between the second and third spot, never making it to the top although my teachers loved to exclaim about the consistent toppers of the class, the first five students who always hogged the class limelight. I cringe at that memory now. There was always someone better at sciences and maths, the competition at scoring 96 and 98 in sciences, the immense humiliation at retaining the same spot, never gaining more than the satisfaction of seeing our peers compete so crazily with each other. No wonder our education system churns out such decisively idiotic ranking system that only inflates a kid's child ego, doing more harm for the rest of their lives than failure ever could. It's therefore not very surprising to see very few remnants of things learned in childhood, school appropriately, finding much existence in an adult's life. Art was very enjoyable during my school days. I loved the Music classes, the drawing session experimentation with different colour mediums, and the hullabaloo of the language classes as well. 

The most significant thing that I have retained from my childhood is the ability to forgive myself for mistakes. I have berated myself as a kid for failing to accomplish perfection, the 100/100 score in Maths, and even being less than my fiercest competitors who were my friends. In that age, all we can think about is pleasing the teachers, being the star of school sessions, something we won't give much thought to now since we consider competing as a rat-race in our grown up world. It is all the more a concern to look back and reassess the crucial difference our learning methods can impact our current systems of imparting knowledge. I ardently hope, we let our old mechanisms to retire and seek out to bring the simplicity of childhood without pressure systems to ruin their world that our economic sensibilities could never recreate nor bring back. Memories are precious, more so when they create happy people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच