Skip to main content

Julie/Julia and Me

I am embarking on a new journey this year. One that takes me through herbs, spices, lots of vegetables and images that satiate my thirst for something I have never attempted wholeheartedly or given any consideration previously. I am going to try my hand at Cooking. I hope I stick to this idea. Never been a big fan of food or kitchen antics despite seeing this passion in my mother and younger sister. Both of them go balsamic(intended with a pun) at the thought of creating new recipes. I have forever been the person who dives her nose deep into books especially when the ladies are on a cooking expedition. Lately though, I feel my senses are stimulating themselves to smells and fragrances drifting from above our kitchen. My Dad recently gifted my Mom a big, heavy set Julia Child-ish book of Indian Recipes. True to her passionate self, we have been eating wonderfully creative dinners and Sunday lunches for the past few weeks. I knew some of my mother's passion must have rubbed off on me when I discovered I was good at Baking. I was utterly crushed when I realised very early on that I possessed no food magic gene in me, it was miraculously passed on to my younger sister. However, I have come to my good senses and refuse to relinquish the trying gene that I possess aplenty within me. Will never give up before attempting a thing or two. This feeling especially enthrals me as I look up the screen to see Julie and Julia with their hilarious, determined, and creative cooking adventures.

How difficult is cooking really? It's not when we attune ourselves to the pleasures of providing hearty and healthy meals as Julia Child would say, perhaps. Closer home, my Mom carries her precious cook book by Kamalabai Ogale, practically inside her brain. She sits with the book, sifting through recipes, adding her own detour with some ingredients and creates amazing pan cakes for breakfast. As a kid, when I first saw the book, and the delicious colourful photographs of recipes that started with rice, vegetables, fruit salads, homemade drinks, to cakes, Indian sweets, desserts, I kid not when I write here, that I drooled over them. The sugary glazing over the cakes and the syrupy pancake laden dishes made my mouth water and it still does, after all these years. Occasionally I sift through the book, alas, not for recipes but for those gorgeous delights on the pages. My reluctance to enter the kitchen springs from a childhood laziness and privilege granted upon me then to READ. I am not blaming reading, only pledging that my cooking senses suffered in the process. Now that I realise it much, let's hope I put up a few detailed experimental weekend kitchen ventures here. It's not that I can't cook. I just can't figure out what goes when and how much. That's easy to overcome I believe. At times, food movies do entice me to kitchen initiation with buoyant spirits, but it never sustains for a long time. 

Last year, when I was home alone for quite a few times, I diligently went through YouTube cooking channels, and more or less, survived on my half baked recipes. I had a perfectly boiled Rice dish, not overcooked or under, just the right amount of steam. My sauteed vegetables looked brownish but were not half bad to taste, they weren't burnt in any case. I made a Zebra Cake from scratch as a surprise for my parents. It went well. I make great cupcakes when I don't bungle up the soda and baking powder measurements. I love garnishing dishes, grating, chopping and all the prerequisites of cooking. But my interest doesn't go deeper than these occasional spurts of cooking. I ardently wish to listen to the searing sounds of frying fish and the aroma of curry leaf gravies while trying my hand on my own cooking pursuits. I recall watching cookery shows in the afternoons during lunch hours in my childhood with Mom. Those were priceless moments spent together. She devoured every little detail so intently while I dilly dallied my way into reading and eating, together. I am trying to generate some zeal on my own for these kitchen endeavours, and pray that I will reach that stage of satiating appetites without disturbing the good food aura my Mom has created over the years.

Someday, and I mean it fiercely, I shall carve out my own space as a decent cook in my family's heart.



(On some afterthought, decided to share a picture of the masala rice and pan pizza.)

Comments

  1. Lovely. I enjoy cooking as well. My excitement starts when I begin buying the ingredients itself. There is something very satisfying when you turn them all into a delicious treat. Cooking truly is very creative and I try to record all the recipes from my mom, sister and aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Even when I go shopping at the local food market, the bright, colourful, enticing shelves of spices, vegetables and bottled ingredients draw me towards them. Sometimes, I only walk through the aisles to take in all the aromas floating in the air there. Cooking feels therapeutic. Like that you get your recipes from all the women in your house. BTW, does this mean we will get to read a blog post with your cooking adventures soon?

      Delete
    2. I have been thinking about writing about my cooking experiences. Specially, during my backpacking in NZ, I learnt a lot from others in Hostel - Like how effectively we can cook while traveling. Will write more about it in my post. For that post, I must be first done with all my NZ travel posts that is taking me for ever to complete. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच