Skip to main content

Shoe woes!!

All my resistance to buying monsoon footwear landed me in a soup a few times in September. I ended up sitting through an entire day in wet sports shoes that made my skin itch horribly not to mention red rashes that made me throw away the shoes for good. So last Sunday upon my Mother's umpteenth persuasion to buy new shoes I landed up at a local shoe store to buy some workable comfortable monsoon footwear. I thought I was clear when I told the salesman to show me comfortable non-slid grip sole shoes or sandals when he kept showing me all the fancy strapped slick sandals that all the women were wearing and are popular in the market. Finally to get rid of all the glitter and strap, I chose ballerina flat sole shoes that I thought would be comfortable for walking and some running too.

Imagine my horror when I wore the shoes for some 8 hours straight and nearly killed my feet from swelling. These are the worst kind of shoes designed for women-kind, I wonder why women tend to harm themselves by wearing these Oh-so-pretty shoes which are nothing but a means to kill your feet. I kept cursing myself for buying these ballerinas also in a way reprimanding myself when I never chose something just because it was pretty and beautiful without considering its merits over comfort and feasibility. It was a lesson in what happens when you ignore your beliefs about something or maybe I am putting this shoe experience into a bit of self-criticising zone but yes, so necessary to experience having myself injured just so to abide by the truth. I remember having read an article a few years ago about shoes designed by Architects that were impossibly high-heeled and wedged. I thought then about the weird creative surge that Architects go through just to claim design proprietary over their ego.

Our fascination with fashion has overruled our sense for comfort. Louis Sullivan's Form Follows Function became a battle-cry for Modern Architects after 1930. Throughout my Architecture School training and education, I always tried my best to stick to function and realised in post-modern world, it rarely made any sense. We have disadvantaged ourselves by mulling over the gloss while chucking the actual treasure beneath it. It's funny how something as simple and common like footwear has inspired corporations and built brands of economy that squeeze labour from Vietnam and Thailand but reap their benefits in first world nations. I remember registering shock and disgust over someone's 10,000 (150$) branded shoes not long ago. Do we really deem it necessary to elevate our value by possessing riches and flaunting them? YES, is the answer. It's like knowing about climate change causes, discussing fervently about pollution and all the more just keep living crudely adding to our own misery. As I spoke about this unnecessary attention levied on shoes, their brands and exorbitant prices, I got a fine smack on head by my younger sister who moans having me judge the price of everything and know the value of nothing.

After finishing this post, I read an article in Economic & Political Weekly (EPW) about Dalit women in Bundelkhand, Uttar Pradesh who defied an age old demeaning custom of taking off their footwear before passing by the houses of Upper Castes and carrying it on their heads or hands. On 15th August, India's 69th Independence Day, Dalit women groups in Barora gram panchayat in Bundlekhand wore their footwear and asserted their right to respect and breaking hierarchies set up by upper castes.
Please read the complete article hereWomen break hierarchies, Walk to freedom

Comments

  1. Too many thoughts in there. Firstly, I think that different shoes/sandals can be worn for different occasions and for a daily wear, comfort might take priority. Fashion has its own place for certain events. Some times, people just don't get that difference.

    Coming from an upper caste myself, but from the South of the country, I have seen things drastically change with caste discrimination. But, when I read such stories from the North, I am shocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tend to jump topics a lot these days. :D
      I wanted to get at our materialistic side that dominates our lifestyle nowadays. Also, this Bundelkhand article stabbed me so badly because here I was thinking of footwear and women someplace still have to carry theirs over their heads just to bow in front of some patriarchal tradition! It snapped me out of my reverie.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

वेंधळेपणा

काही लोकांना वेंधळेपणा करण्याची एवढी सवय जडली असते कि कितीही त्यांनी काळजीने काम करण्याचा प्रयत्नापुर्वक निश्चय केला तरीही तो कधी तडीस जात नाही. मला माहित असलेल्या काही वेंधळ्या माणसांबद्दल सांगायचं झालं तर त्याचं प्रत्येक काम किंवा कृती हि इतरांसाठी तापदायकच ठरते बहुतेक वेळा. म्हणजे विद्यार्थ्यांच्या बाबतीत म्हणायचं झालं तर त्यांना परीक्षेत अभ्यास आठवेल का याचं टेन्शन असतं पण तरीही त्यातल्यात्यात त्यांच्या वेंधळेपणात कुठेही कसूर रहात नाही. अगदी परीक्षेची सामग्री नीट घेण्यापासून ते ओळखपत्र, परीक्षेत व्यवस्थित पेपर लिहिण्यापर्यंत सगळ्या गोष्टींमध्ये यांचा धांदरटपणा दिसून येतो. अशा लोकांच्या बेजबाबदार वागण्याची किंमत त्यांच्या परीजनांना भोगावी लागते याचं त्यांना सोयरसुतक देखील नाही. शेवटी काय तर माणूस स्वतःच्या स्वार्थाचाच विचार करतो. मला तर अतिशय राग आहे अशा लोकांच्या आप्पल्पोटेपणाची. त्यांच्या जगाचे ते राजे, सगळं भूमंडल फक्त यांच्या अवतीभवतीच फिरत असल्याचा यांचा फाजील गोड गैरसमज. आपल्यामुळे समोरच्याला केवढा मानसिक त्रास सोसावा लागत असेल याचा थांगपत्तासुद्धा अशा लोकांना नसतो मु