Skip to main content

My Love Affair with Gulmohar

As I have written here in so many posts, all my childhood memories with Daddy are beyond precious. Him and me shared very little time when I was young because he was posted in another city and me & my mother lived in another small town. He came home on weekends and those two days, Saturday & Sunday, were my days with him. I would accompany him everywhere, wherever he went. To the market, the artillery canteen, to the town on long scooter rides. We would deliberately go around faraway places and then he would stop the scooter by the road where hundreds of Gulmohar trees stood tall, way back in 1995-96, almost twenty years ago.

Dad would make me sit on the scooter and pluck Gulmohar flowers or sometimes he allowed me to stand on the scooter seat and reach for a bent Gulmohar branch. We would then sit for a while watching the vehicles drive past on the road. Back then, vehicles were a few and the roads were often empty. I remember those breezy encounters on Hamara Bajaj towards the mountains. Hot summer days are engraved in my mind with these scenes. Gulmohar trees were like a permanent fixture in the neighborhood gardens and the playgrounds were also lined with them. We would often stop running around the ground to pick up strewn Gulmohar flowers. Us girls would run to our mothers who would be chatting in groups on one of the verandahs, and we would show them our prized possessions in our small palms held too tightly and hence, wilted. What joyful, innocent days! That India seemed like a different place.

Every time I traveled in long bus rides to visit my grandmother who lived a few hours away, I would rest my chin on the window and take in the hot breeze. My eyes would hungrily look for the flaming red against the soothing blue skies. I would count the number of Gulmohar trees I had encountered from the bus and keep a record of it in a little homemade diary made by my Dad. He always punched a few loose pages and gave it to me to record whatever I felt like while at school or home. That habit is still very much prevalent even today. Despite, diaries and spiral notebooks, me and Dad still carry a bunch of sheets stapled together. It's something that I consider as a good habit. I never run out of paper in any case.

Since I have grown up, I now document Gulmohar trees wherever I go. Each new city that I visit or old places that I revisit, thanks to cell phone cameras, I quickly take a few shots from various angles. I am always surprised but mostly happy to discover the different aspects of Gulmohar. Each photograph from various cities showed a different Gulmohar. Somewhere it was too tall and straight branched, somewhere it had a large spread, somewhere it seemed skinny with the flowers bunched at the top of the leaves cover. I don't know if this is just my perception or the trees really are different at all these places. The Gulmohar in Gardens seem very daunting and unreachable, like the ones at Joseph Baptista Garden. Although the branches reach out along the slope of the garden, one doesn't feel like plucking those flowers. Perhaps, we've wired our brains in not plucking garden flowers. These days, there are hardly any Gulmohar trees seen along roadsides. I had a chance to visit my Dad's hometown in 2013. We went to his old school. That seemed like a proper school with its huge playground and trees lined along the boundary walls. Just as we came towards the back of the playground, I spotted a lone yet brilliant red Gulmohar standing tall casting a huge shade. I quickly ran to embrace the tree. How happy I felt then! That was the most memorable moment of our visit. Oh! What I would give to see a burst of such red amidst the dull, grey urbanscapes that we call cities! Gulmohar gives me boundless joy and a pleasant longing for the old days. It's like a time travel trigger. This is one love affair I shall never part with. :) :) 

Comments

  1. Me too have several fond memories of this flower. Blooming right at time of exams and indicating holidays ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Aah, indeed! Those were the good old days. Would love to read your memories.

      Delete
  2. Aah! Such fond memories!! I can totally relate that beautiful summer blossom. Reminds me of the beautiful gulmohar Avenue in the garden of Lal Baag, Bangalore. The stark red blossom amidst the lush green trees, making it more magical when the lake reflected the entire scene, was certainly overwhelming when the heart is in love...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच