Skip to main content

T.I.M.E

Only in time is time remembered. - T.S. Eliot.
How right Eliot was! Exactly eight years ago (WOW! That long already) I wrote my first blog post on Indian social system which I deleted after a few months. I have no inkling why I did that. It was about the Hindustan Times sponsored Advertisement 'Tum chalo toh hindustan chale,' roughly translated as 'Walk and India walks with you.' I distinctly remember writing it after getting worked up during a humanities class in school about social inequality in India. Strange that after eight odd years, I am studying Indian Polity. If I could see future, I would be proud for my stand in those humanities classes.

T.I.M.E- valued greatly and generally misused by all of us. I love journals and diaries that document our day to day lives. I am a big believer in writing as a therapy. Yes, it works far better than breaking objects. As a kid when I made mistakes, Dad would always reprimand me by asking me to remember the date and time when we were having that conversation. He would say, "Remember this day in your life and don't ever commit this mistake." I may not have remembered all those dates but I sure have learned and bettered myself over time. I remember telling a friend once while in primary school that we were all on earth for limited time and that she or me could live as long as we practised honesty. It sounds rather absurd to profess and preach such wisdom pearls in school. A very notorious prank that I was part of happened when I was in Class Three. Yes, rather young to have thought such a vile idea. Me and my bench partner scribbled on a notebook belonging to a girl who sat on the front bench in class. When the teacher called out for the culprits, the class went silent and suddenly my bench partner pointed at me and took my name. I don't remember what happened next- if I got punished or if my parents were notified. That portion seems to have mysteriously disappeared from my memories. All I remember now is that after ten long years when I met my bench partner, time had carefully erased all the bad memories and hatred towards him. This is why I appreciate and care about Time. It washes away all dirt and sadness.

We are taught importance of punctuality in school but sadly don't practise it in our lives. These are just some virtues that all of us already have imbibed in us, we just don't give them priority and importance. Time and Tide waits for none, is understood perfectly when we incur losses and suffer humiliation at the hands of time. It could break families, hearts, people. Everything. In fact, the most powerful and prestigious asset in our lives is Time, not money neither fame.
I have regretted so many events, mourned over lost opportunities while blaming myself and the time that I was in. It has taken me just a little while to realise that time is always in our hands. We have an absolute power that lies unused because of lack of trust in time. We trust our fate, not time. And it reminds us, sooner or later for good or for worse that nothing else matters above these calculated seconds of our lives. Every breath intake is valuable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच