Skip to main content

Self-worth and notions of beauty!

It is difficult to please everyone. Especially, your mother, seniors at work, colleagues, friends, siblings! Teachers too. No matter how polite you've been to them during your college days- they'll scarcely recognize a bit and reciprocate your friendly smile when you visit college after you've graduated.

I was so dejected today morning. And, writing a blog seemed to work, until I wrote here. Rereading this and all those unwanted memories come flashing back to me.

I know I am not perfect. No one is! That should definitely not be the reason for my mother to tell me to opt for an eye surgery- Laser eye operation. Now, I've been wearing glasses for almost 13 years now. So, it naturally just feels like a part of my body. I can't imagine going back to a life without glasses. When I was growing up, I thought I was ugly. I still sometimes do. And the day I wore my glasses first to school, it felt great- felt different. Maybe, its weird for others to understand. One of my classmates from architecture school once nominated me on a social networking website for "someone who needs a fashion stylist!" I was a little disturbed after reading that but after realizing that everyone is entitled for an opinion & that I shouldn't care what others think, I let it go. These might be the inner demons that constantly reproach me for not being tall enough, smart enough, not having perfect white teeth enough- I actually have a small gap between my two front teeth, and while growing up it has always made me feel self-conscious and always restricted my urge to smile openly. Even to this day, when I meet beautiful, young girls my age who have the perfect straight hair and the perfect teeth and smile, my confidence suffers a setback. I remember feeling so awkward when I met my best friend with a beautiful girl and she stared at me.

But then, I started reading books on Gender Equality- books by feminists and strong women who are known for their work for humanity, their goodwill and kindness. I have since become confident and much more comfortable with my own self. I no longer feel the need to project myself different than who I am. My thoughts and my actions speak for me. I understand that being beautiful is not merely to possess fair skin or dark eyes or great hair! Its about your inner confidence and kindness and happy spirit that makes you a better human towards everyone else.

I wish for young girls to stop using unhealthy practices to look "perfect." I hope they stop defining perfection by referring to models on runway or skinny celebrities. We forget that by spending our energies in perfecting our bodies, we are losing the opportunity to nurture ourselves as better human beings. We must recognize beauty of a person by their grace and intellect, their kindness and qualities that make them successful. Your worth is not decided by your beauty but by your good being. Let us realize our true potential and cherish the gift of a happy life instead of wailing in sorrows over our physical imperfections. No matter what everyone else says about our physical features, always remember that all of us deserve to live a fulfilling life and the best way to live so is by knowing our true self!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच