Skip to main content

A transient moment

Today was a day of major realization about some missed opportunities. I felt terribly miserable even as I told myself to look at the other things. It prompted me to work out in another direction which I am now quite hopeful about. Did I really take some things for granted in the past two months? I did and I know it. How do I make myself not think too much about it? No clue but hopefully not let my mind wander towards these thoughts. It's quite silly as I look back and keep going towards the incidents in the recent past. And yet, only yesterday did I feel so content and calm over having a long luncheon conversation with my friend. We met for the first time since the pandemic shut us inside our homes. It felt so surreal to be able to sit in a restaurant with people, high voices, background music, laughter and occasional interruptions of new arrivals through the door. Almost like the world had never stopped. 

I indulged myself in some material happiness as I bought a couple of books at a pre-owned and used bookstore. While I rummaged through their shelves laden with dust looking through the titles, I was stuck by the simplicity of the moment. As if I was looking for some treasure and a sudden find could surprise me! I did enjoy myself with the thought of splurging on something to read. I have begun reading Maria Stepanova's translated copy of In Memory of Memory. As I struggle to see much during evening afterhours in the artificial lights, my reading has been hazy and sketchy at best not going beyond a couple of pages without straining my eyes. I pick up In Memory of Memory and rummage through random pages, fixating my attention on abstract themes that she has written about. I read about her reminiscing on photographs and the reality they possess even as my mind goes back many years to my childhood. The slightly faded color photographs with their blurred corners which appear to be more prominent now make me think of those moments when they were clicked. I wish to be there in that photographed moment as though it were happening again and really see through the surroundings around me. 

During lunch today, I feel the loss of my appetite as I sit eating numbly thinking about a thousand things at once. Around 4:30, I get up from the sofa to drink some water and realize how parched my throat feels. The cold water doesn't quench my thirst and I keep wandering from room to room before finally settling on the bed. A quick phone call from my friend who is getting married in two weeks from now feels like an aberration of my thoughts. I then spend more time in front of the laptop until the doing becomes senseless. I suddenly don't know what I am looking at. This trance gave me a tiny jolt and I ended up doing what I had to eventually and something that I was unnecessarily pushing afar and away from me. I shouldn't expect anything and this is what I am trying to tell my brain so that it does not go running towards what I wish ardently to happen. I am throwing my thoughts out here in the open hoping that now my mind will calm down and be somewhere else. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

वेंधळेपणा

काही लोकांना वेंधळेपणा करण्याची एवढी सवय जडली असते कि कितीही त्यांनी काळजीने काम करण्याचा प्रयत्नापुर्वक निश्चय केला तरीही तो कधी तडीस जात नाही. मला माहित असलेल्या काही वेंधळ्या माणसांबद्दल सांगायचं झालं तर त्याचं प्रत्येक काम किंवा कृती हि इतरांसाठी तापदायकच ठरते बहुतेक वेळा. म्हणजे विद्यार्थ्यांच्या बाबतीत म्हणायचं झालं तर त्यांना परीक्षेत अभ्यास आठवेल का याचं टेन्शन असतं पण तरीही त्यातल्यात्यात त्यांच्या वेंधळेपणात कुठेही कसूर रहात नाही. अगदी परीक्षेची सामग्री नीट घेण्यापासून ते ओळखपत्र, परीक्षेत व्यवस्थित पेपर लिहिण्यापर्यंत सगळ्या गोष्टींमध्ये यांचा धांदरटपणा दिसून येतो. अशा लोकांच्या बेजबाबदार वागण्याची किंमत त्यांच्या परीजनांना भोगावी लागते याचं त्यांना सोयरसुतक देखील नाही. शेवटी काय तर माणूस स्वतःच्या स्वार्थाचाच विचार करतो. मला तर अतिशय राग आहे अशा लोकांच्या आप्पल्पोटेपणाची. त्यांच्या जगाचे ते राजे, सगळं भूमंडल फक्त यांच्या अवतीभवतीच फिरत असल्याचा यांचा फाजील गोड गैरसमज. आपल्यामुळे समोरच्याला केवढा मानसिक त्रास सोसावा लागत असेल याचा थांगपत्तासुद्धा अशा लोकांना नसतो मु