Skip to main content

Moonlight and the prickle of stars

It's close to midnight, raining, the tenants living upstairs are creating some ruckus and here I am, pondering over my disastrous cupcake kitchen adventure from the evening. My head hurts badly with a splitting pain throughout my temples and perhaps, I need to pay a visit to my ENT doctor tomorrow. Each year, at least once I suffer from these splitting headaches which are usually only warning me about my ear infections. I am a very healthy person. I seldom miss appointments or work assignments or social commitments due to sickness. But that's because I am really scared of illness and the pain that follows it. As a kid, most of my doctor visits were due to ear infections only. For the past couple of years, I have been relatively healthy and fit with no major or minor sicknesses ever, not even cold or fever that warranted a visit from me to the doctor. 

Last Sunday, I was travelling through a mountain pass in my car and happened to witness a magical moonlit night that seemed to guide us through the dark. It's a very literary setting but when this happens, I instantly remember J.R.R.Tolkein's words- "May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out." Something about the stars on a night journey makes me feel assured about the various things in life that remain unsorted and unsolved in the moment for me. When I went on a trek last month, we climbed halfway up to the base village of the hilltop and stopped to look over the sprawling city lights in the distance. With the dark on the mountain pass, the lights looked like stars on earth to me. The night sky was clear enough to shine upon our ascend uphill, bathing each stone in its silvery light. I felt an overwhelming surge of gratitude to be alive and witnessing that moment there. Never had I ever felt such a rush of ecstatic unadulterated joy before. Simple things are priceless indeed. 

Each night as I return home, I am accompanied by a small sliver of star cluster (that's what it looks to me!), and I walk albeit in a daze since summer nights are clear in my town. The pollution levels are controlled here and the skies are clear most nights for the stars to be visible. My imaginative kid self-used to weave stories about people who travelled on stars in their afterlife. Because they were so far away, I felt an acute attraction towards them. I loved spreading glitter on my clothes, greeting cards and just about the entire house in a bid to be closer to them. Kids have such a high enthusiasm for achieving the unattainable. Also, the sky holds an immeasurable attraction since space exploration is all about delving into the unknown. I always considered the moonlight to be a special sign of all that was special and magical as a kid. 

Stargazing is one of the nicest activities us humans could indulge our time and energy in. It's an amusing miracle to watch. I have lost count of the number of nights I've spent in my childhood through teens looking from my bedroom window unto the endless dark skies, seizing up stars in my eyes. It made me believe in the happiness and new spirits that engulfed my every waking moment then. Years later, in architecture school, I came across Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Nights painting along with the Don Mclean rendition of Starry, starry nights and it gave me further impetus to continue my interest in stars and family of galaxies and the constellations with its various nebulae that dot the outer space. I remember being so obsessed and intrigued with the mere words moon, stars, galaxies that I scoured literature for anything related to it. My first Somerset Maugham novel was, of course, The Moon and sixpence, next was Antoine de Saint-Exupery's memoir Wind, Sand and Stars. These forces of nature are utterly fascinating and we are lucky to indeed bear a witness to them all. Something incredibly dreamy about the night catches my fancy even today. I can hear the loud tick-tock of the clock overhead on the wall, along with an occasional low buzz of traffic on the street. The wind whooshes past a lone plum tree in my vicinity. I can see and feel the night calm and it doesn't even feel creepy. Instead gives out a soothing vibe of calm and harmony all over the place. It's my cue to wither away in this beautiful dark moonless night. May peace be upon every living being. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच