Skip to main content

AUGUST Rush

It's AUGUST! I have been reading a lot of books lately. Read them even during my exams which is not a good thing to do i.e. deviating from coursework and spending time with literary characters. Now that exams are done, I look forward eagerly to more Kindle reads, library reads and my To-Read pile from April. I never thought how much I would enjoy reading on the kindle. Although, I still hold my paperbacks and Hardcovers dearly. 

I recently gave away a large chunk of my Childhood favorites to an orphanage housing girls aged between 8-12 years. I was very clear about including books that would be academically useful to them so Atlases, Thesaurus and Dictionaries, Spelling & Grammar books from Webster's made the list. I was happy to part with the books although initially when I thought of the idea, I thought I wouldn't be able to. So I took a day off to bask in my memories with those books and then decided it was for the best. Someone else will be able to hold them dear and treasure their own reading experiences later. One of the best deeds I've done in my life. 

My memories with August are of a mixed variety meaning I associate August with the blooming of something new every year. I don't recall any specific occasion that has triggered this feeling but it just so happens to be a good monsoon month. I start thinking of winters and the cold usually from August. I also feel terribly bad about coming to the end of the year although it is still a good four months away. But then, since August, days pass quickly and before I know it, it's Christmas and New Year. 

I have been reading a wonderful Anthology on Gauri Deshpande and I've realized that she seems different each time I read her thoughts. I first read her when I was 14 in a school textbook, then at age 20 during Architecture College and then kept reading her work more so when I turned 25. And now I see the difference that has started seeping in my mind about her characters and stance on Sexual Liberty of Men and Women. She created quite a stir in the 60's and 70's with her bold literary writing and often was at a harsh mercy of critics from Marathi Literature. Today, as I read her stories and ideas, I feel she wasn't wrong to explore her liberal and modern thoughts on women the way she did back then, but it no longer feels the same for women 50 years after her writing. Nothing seems to have changed. Only the appearances of women have undergone some drastic changes in urban areas but their way of living and suppression is still the same. I cannot relate to her sense of freedom and liberty as espoused for women who had the means to rise in their lives. Her characters often struggle with their loneliness and inabilities to initiate relationships with their loved ones. Not to highlight the fact that, women cannot just pinpoint on bodily urges for their carnal satisfaction in their lives forever. Surely, we are more than our urges for bodily pleasures. This is where I don't feel very attached to her anymore now. Of course, my fondest memories will lie in the years I got introduced to her literature and the way she captured my attention about body issues women face throughout their lives. She remains a huge influence for the freedom she envisaged in her characters and which in turn made me look out for the definition and scope of liberty in my life. There comes a phase when we push and drift away from writers we've loved and I am sure I will have my own large share too, but Gauri remains a dear friend who lets me capture my most adventurous thoughts on freedom through her words and ideas. She died when I was 15 and I regret to have never got the chance to meet her or write her letters but she lives on in my heart as one of the first Contemporary Marathi Writers I read and cherished throughout my teen years. Perhaps, human tendencies really do lie in going over the same experiences time and again in a search for their identities.

Comments

  1. Kindle is amazing. I own one too and can't stop reading. Its a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच