Skip to main content

BOOKS & READING!!!!

Before 2014 ends, and I actually say this to myself before every year comes to an end, that I should pen down a proper list of to-read books in a diary, so that, I won't trouble the booksellers trying to remember names of books/authors/publishers etc. when I buy them. This rarely happens though. Every time I am in bookstores, I usually have this printed Excel list of to-read books I've exported from Goodreads. It happened only once that I took some other bag on an outing and hence, forgot to transfer the contents including these printed pages that run over about 20 in number.
I've since grown wiser. Now, I also have a quick list of essential books to buy in my wallet, so that I always have access to the list. Since the beginning of this year, in 2014, I've also been writing in a small diary about books that I've come across, essays to read, excerpts from Nobel Prize Acceptance speeches and poetry too. These days I am reading a very interesting diary of a voracious reader and am absolutely charmed at the description of books and the passion for book collecting and the troubles he undergoes to get hold of books. Somewhere in the writings, I feel he is talking about me.
I spend hours at times reading news articles about books, staring at the bookshelves in my house, rearranging them and at times getting lost while completely forgetting the reason I started off in the first place. Gives me great pleasure. Perhaps, even more than Icecream does. I agree, Icecream and Books cannot be compared but some people speak of coffee/tea and books in one breath. Books melt in my soul, the way Icecream melts in our mouths. I have never come across a single day when I haven't read anything at all.

The bookshelves at my home are overflowing. One of the chairs in the drawing room is stacked full with bags of books. Nobody has used the chair to sit since 2005. Its always full with books. I replace some occasionally, yet new books evidently find their way on this chair. While reading Orhan Pamuk's Nobel Acceptance speech titled 'My Father's Suitcase', I am aware of my father's robust heavy trunks in the bedroom which are filled with books, magazines and newspaper articles. He has preserved all of them since his IAF days. Once a year, me and him, open the trunks and reread the books. When I was a kid, one saturday weekend Dad opened the trunks and when I returned home from school, my first reaction was jumping around the room and excited voices of both Dad and mine pouring over the contents of the trunk. We would spend endless hours on weekends and during summer vacations reading, stacking and buying books. Now that I've grown up, I often meet him in our favorite bookstore after office hours or during lunch hours and we end up buying two different bags of books. Its a very gratifying experience and I love devouring my Dad's suggestions on books to read. Often, he tells me of magazines with book reviews he has read. Its a cherished time we share, and brings me happiness more than anything else in the world does!

Here's an essential list of books and articles I intend to read and collect in the coming year, on top of my priority list.

1. The Arcades Project: Walter Benjamin, translated by Howard Eiland and Kevin McLaughlin, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2002.
2. Walter Benjamin's Archive, translated by Esther Leslie, edited by Ursula Marx, Gudrun Schwarz, Erdmut Wizisla, Verso, 2007.
3. Walter Benjamin: A Biography, Momme Broderson, translated by Malcolm R. Green & Ingrida Ligers, edited by Martina Dervis, Verso, 1996.
4. Echoes down the Corridor: Arthur Miller, edited by Steven R. Centola, Viking Press, 2002.
5. The Fragrance of Guava by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Plinio Apuleyo Mendoza, Faber and Faber, 1998.
5. Living to tell the Tale: An Autobiography, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Vintage, 2004.
6. Adieux: A Farewell to Sartre, Simone De Beauvoir, translated by Patrick O' Brian, Penguin, 1985.
7. A Passion for Books, Harold Rabinowitz and Rob Kaplan, Three Rivers Press, 2001.
8. What is History? by E.H.Carr, Cambridge University Lectures, 1961.
9. Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford, Random House Paperbacks, 2002.
10. The Journals of Sylvia Plath: 1950- 1962 by Ted Hughes, The Dial Press, 1982.
11. The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, edited by Karen V. Kukil, Anchor, 2007.
12. The Sovereign Sun by Odysseus Elytis, Temple University Press, 1979.
13. Testaments Betrayed: An Essay in Nine Parts by Milan Kundera, translated by Linda Asher, Harper Perennial, 1996.
14. The Complete Posthumous Poetry by Cesar Vallejo, translated by Jose Rubia Barcia and Clayton Eshleman, University of California Press, 1980.
15. Orientalism by Edward W. Said, Vintage, 1979.
16. The Edward Said Reader by Andrew N. Rubin and Moustafa Bayoumi, Vintage, 2000.
17. Disaffections: Complete Poems by Cesare Pavese, translated by Geoffrey Brock, Copper Canyon Press, 2002.
18. Notebook of a Return to the Native Land by Aime Cesaire, translated by Clayton Eshleman, edited by Annette Smith, Wesleyan University Press, 2001.
19. How to Change the World: Marx and Marxism 1840-2011, Eric Hobsbawm, Little brown and Company, 2011.
20. Cairo: My City, Our Revolution by Ahdaf Soueif, Bloomsbury Publishing, 2012.

I am sure my list will expand soon till my next post. Keep Reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच