Skip to main content

Sunday musings

Working five days a week and relaxing on saturday and hanging out with friends on sunday might be the ideal way to spend one's time. With me, I always work round-the-clock on weekdays mostly because I design rapidly, continuously and keep on altering even till my professor says he likes it! And, then the saturdays are spent on working on the details.

These days, since a year-and- half I have been only and religiously working towards my undergrad thesis on aviation museum. The sundays somehow focus me back on some totally different issue regarding the design....its the form(most of the times)...will people walk about 100m while moving around the space? Will they climb 40 steps to enter the museum? What happens with the differently-abled? Are there too many Ramps in the museum? Strangely, and surprisingly one of my architect friends suggested that I should not bother with providing barrier-free access and should not spend too much time on thinking about the differently-abled. What I must concentrate should be on lighting details, the form, the experience I provide while walking! I am so disappointed with the attitude of designers towards the comfort of the less-able. Sure, then my sundays start with staring at the design.....the floor plans..and next thing I know, I would start doodling on some other idea that just occurred to me.

What happens to the week's designs? Aah, they're forgotten. My afternoons stretch into a limitless paper and pencil usage, and an irritating mood that continues into anxiety monday morning throughout the train ride to college. Sunday nights I catch up with Libeskind's design philosophies about the Jewish museum, maybe Chipperfield's works... and continue the night with another ideas-on-paper/ CAD tuned in....sketchup with views turning up just not the way I intend them to be' session. I have seen hand-drawn sketches are quicker, and they satisfy my need of listening to the swish-swoosh of the colored pencil leads on paper. Words come out, some jargon about architects and the sun/moon/world.

Did I mention friends on saturdays/sundays? They are non-existent even on most weekdays. I walk to the exhibitions/art galleries with my constant companion of my laptop/camera(rarely though)... The only roads traveled throughout the week are to school, the American Library(because it stacks special editions on 'Flights', aviators) and way back home. And, this repeats for most of the weeks, until I finally give up... cry, introspect, hold conversations in my mind...and give myself hope for new ideas..for a new day, a new week.

Comments

  1. I always thought how a person spends his/her Sunday tells a lot about the person. Your article proves me right (as usual ;-) ).
    So now let me explain my funda- Sundays are days when you are completely free of demands on your time by others(not that people like to believe that!). So how u spend your time tells a lot about your priorities in your life. And priorities in a person's life tell a lot about the person. U indulge yourself on Sundays doing things in excess,complete absence of moderation, always!! But the key being these things are either what we enjoy or miss doing the most. So sweet keep indulging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reethu! Thank you again for such positive thoughts!! I was just writing something which could take my mind off things that completely drowned me! Something i could put into words and relax knowing i was throwing away the excess weights hanging around! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

या जन्मावर, या जगण्यावर...शतदा प्रेम करावे?

पुस्तकांच्या आणि निसर्गाच्या साथीत जेवढा वेळ छान जातो आणि सार्थकी लागल्यासारखा वाटतो तितका खचितच कुठेतरी अन्यत्र वाटतो. नवीन वर्षात केलेल्या संकल्पांपैकी एक म्हणजे वाचलेल्या प्रत्येक पुस्तकावर स्वतःचं विवेचन लिहिणं. सुरुवात तर झाली आहे. साहित्य संमेलनाच्या निमित्ताने आणि वर्ष अखेरीच्या पार्श्वभूमीवर मुंबईतल्या बऱ्याच बुक स्टोर्सनी भर भक्कम डिसकाउंट जाहीर केला होता. मी देखील नाही नाही म्हणता लोभाला भुलून पार ATM मध्ये जाऊन पैसे काढून पुस्तकं खरेदी केलीत वर्षाच्या शेवटच्या दिवशी. टिव्ही वरच्या असंख्य कार्यक्रमांवर नजर फिरवल्यास असं चित्र दिसतं कि समाजाच्या नैतिक मूल्यांशी कार्यक्रम बनवणाऱ्यांच काहीच घेणं-देणं दिसत नाही. माणसांची पतच एवढी रसातळाला गेली आहे कि कपोलकल्पित आणि वास्तव जग यांची चांगलीच सरमिसळ आपण करून ठेवली आहे आणि त्यातून बाहेर पडण्याचे आपले काहीच मनसुबे वाटत नाही. आज सकाळी विचार करता करता माझ्या असं लक्षात आलं कि आपण किती उगाच खलबतं करतो, आपला दुरान्वये संबंध नसलेल्या गोष्टींबद्दल. काल रात्री जेवताना मी कुमार केतकरांचं "बदलते विश्व" हे साधारण दहा वर्षांपूर्व

गौरी देशपांडे आणि मी

आज २७ फेब्रुवारी. कविवर्य कुसुमाग्रज यांचा जन्मदिवस आणि मराठी भाषा दिवस. त्यानिमित्त मला आवडणाऱ्या एका मराठी लेखिकेच्या पुस्तकाचं विवेचन इथे करते. गौरी देशपांडे- मराठी वाचणाऱ्या साऱ्याच वाचकांना हे नाव जितकं परिचित आहे तितकच फार जवळचं देखील आहे. मी सर्वप्रथम गौरी देशपांडे यांची एक कथा शाळेत असताना अभ्यासली होती- कलिंगड. आणि कित्येक दिवस मी त्या कथेच्या पुढे अजून काही असेल का म्हणून उत्सुक आणि अस्वस्थ होते. दहावीत असताना वाचली होती म्हणून त्यांचं सर्व लिखाण वाचून काढायचं हे ठरवलं. पुढची चार- पाच वर्ष त्यांचं असं काही वाचनात आलं नाही. नंतर 'आर्किटेक्चर' शिकताना कॉलेजच्या ग्रंथालयात मराठी पुस्तकांचं कपाट दिसलं. आणि पाहिलं पुस्तक जे मी घेतलं नी वाचलं ते गौरी देशपांडेंचं 'मुंबई-तळेगाव-ग्रीस' असा प्रवास करणारी 'मुक्काम' हि दीर्घ कथा/कादंबरी. त्याचं दुसरं पुस्तक वाचलं ते म्हणजे 'आहे हे असे आहे', आणि त्यात मला परत एकदा सापडली ती 'कलिंगड' हि कथा. मी चार-पाच वेळा ते पुस्तक वाचून काढलं परीक्षा सुरु होण्याच्या काही दिवस आधी, एप्रिल मधेच आणि त्या कलिंगडाची

आठवणीतल्या पाऊस गोष्टी!

गेल्या आठवड्यापासून पाऊस सगळीकडे चांगलाच पडतोय आणि हळूहळू पावसावरचे लेख देखील वाचण्यात येऊ लागलेत. मला फार पूर्वीपासूनच पावसात भिजणं आवडत नाही. कॉलेजच्या दिवसांत देखील ट्रेनने प्रवास करताना अनेकवेळा चिंब भिजून त्या गर्दीत चढताना जीव नकोसा व्हायचा. मला सर्दी लवकर होते म्हणून देखील मी पावसात भिजणं कटाक्षाने टाळते. तर आज हा इथे लिहिण्याचा उहापोह यासाठी की एका मैत्रिणीने तिच्या पावसाळी दिवसांच्या भुट्टा खाणाऱ्या आठवणी लिहिल्यात आणि त्या वाचून मी देखील काही क्षण त्या सुंदर गतकाळात स्थिरावले.  एके दिवशी पावसात चिंब भिजून कॉलेजला पोहोचले तर तिथे आमचा स्टुडिओच गळत होता. सगळीकडे फरशीवर पाणी आणि त्या अंधारलेल्या जागेत आम्ही मिळेल त्या कोरड्या जागेत बसलेलो मला आजही लक्ख आठवतंय.  नंतरच्या आठवणी ह्या जेजेतल्या हिरव्या पटांगणावर पडणाऱ्या पाऊसधारा बघण्याच्या आणि नाचत उड्या मारत पावसाला चकवत स्टुडिओ ते कॅन्टीनला पळण्याच्या ह्या होत्या.  इंटर्नशिपच्या काळात व्हीटी ते कुलाबा बहुतांशी मी पायीच प्रवास करायचे. तेव्हा छत्री सांभाळत, हातातलं पुस्तक भिजू न देता, इतर लोकांना चुकवत तो रस्ता चालताना देखील वेगळीच